The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, Tim Larkin, called the meeting to order.
ROLL CALL PRESENT: ALLEY, LARKIN, MOORE, STELLY, WEBB, TAUNTON MELVILLE, ATTORNEY AND ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: BANTLE, MONTGOMERY
The first order of business was opening prayer by Commissioner Webb and the Pledge of Allegiance by Commissioner Larkin.
On motion by Montgomery, seconded by Stelly and unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular board meeting held on February 13, 2019.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Eric Hudson from the Parish Engineers Office and Chris Myers with Coyle Engineering appeared before the Applications Committee and the Board with a permit request on behalf of the Bossier Parish Police Jury for culvert replacements on Willow Chute Bayou at Kingston Road, Lafitte Lane, and Crosscreek Drive near Willow Chute Bayou.
On motion by Alley, seconded by Stelly and unanimously carried the Board approved the recommendation from the Applications Committee to approve the permit on behalf of the BPPJ subject to the approval and a letter of no objection from DOTD. No comments from the public.
Discussion regarding the procedure for authorizing and issuing letters of no objection on subdivision plats to enable the Bossier Levee District to reply and to expedite the approval process by 30 to 60 days.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Alley and unanimously carried the Board approved the recommendation from the Applications Committee and authorized the President, Tim Larkin and Operations Coordinator, Mark Long to review and reply to requests from the Metropolitan Planning Commission for comments from the Bossier Levee District. It was also stated that when there was an “extraordinary” application, the President and the Operations Coordinator would not approve such a request in the same manner and the application would be brought before the Board for final approval. No comments from the public.
Resolution to adopt the proposed 2019-2020 budget previously approved by the Finance Committee on March 6, 2019.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Moore and unanimously carried the Board approved and adopted the budget for the Bossier Levee District for the 2019-2020 fiscal year. Secretary, Deanna Rabb, stated that the budget would be sent to the Legislative Committee on Budget in Baton Rouge on or before the deadline of March 30 th , 2019. No comments from the public.
The Board reviewed and discussed the contribution request form the Association of Levee Boards of Louisiana on behalf of the Louisiana Flood Risk Coalition in the amount of $5,000.00 for the 2019 year.
On motion by Moore, seconded by Stelly and unanimously carried the Board did not authorize a check to be processed and this request was tabled until a response is received from the letter that was previously written by the BLD attorney, Tom Arceneaux in December for the 2018 request. No comments from the public.
Resolution authorizing employees and commissioners to attend the 34 th Annual Association of Levee Board Workshop to be held in Baton Rouge, La on May 2 – 3, 2019.
On motion by Alley, seconded by Stelly and unanimously carried the Board approved the resolution authorizing employees and commissioners to attend the 34 th Annual Association of Levee Board Workshop on May 2 – 3, 2019 in Baton Rouge and be reimbursed in accordance with state travel regulations. No comments from the public.
Discussion with the Board regarding the payment of a proposed health insurance allowance for employees who do not elect to utilize the Bossier Levee District provided health insurance.
No action was taken at this time and it was stated that this issue would need more research and would need to brought before the insurance/finance committee first.
Deanna Rabb, Secretary for the Bossier Levee District sought approval for a check to be generated to First Clearing in the amount of $2,200,000.00 from the operating account at Citizen’s Bank to be invested with Huddleston Smith Investments as discussed for the 2019-2020 fiscal year.
On motion by Stelly, seconded by Alley and unanimously carried the Board authorized the Secretary, Deanna Rabb to process a check to First Clearing/Huddleston Smith Investments in the amount of $2,200,000.00 to be invested for the 2019-2020 fiscal year.
Mark Long, Operations Coordinator requested approval to sell two tractors as surplus equipment and to make the following purchases:
1). Three 145 horsepower tractors (499,501.20 each X 3 = $298,503.60 2). New Ford F-450 service truck at a cost of $54,850.00
On motion by Stelly, seconded by Webb and unanimously carried the Board approved the recommendation from the Applications Committee to sell 2 tractors as surplus equipment and authorized the purchases for the three tractors and the new F-450 service truck.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE REPORT:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- January 9, 2019 at 9:30 am. – opened bids on Red Chute Bayou Levee Improvement Project; with low bid of $5,145,791.49 from Testament Construction Services, LLC.
Levee Inspection Schedule
- Corps of Engineers Red River Levee Inspection scheduled for February 19, 2019 thru February 20. DOTD Red Chute Levee Inspection scheduled for February 18, 2019. Corps of Engineers Red Chute Levee Periodic Inspection scheduled for June 10 thru June 14, 2019.
Red River Levee Certification
- Levee certification expires September 30, 2019. - May 8, 2018 – sent letter to Corps requesting their services in providing new levee certification.
Red River Corps Study
- March 29, 2017 – Received schedule of activities for Corps Sediment Study and Hydraulic Analysis for the Red River; estimated time for Hydraulic Model to be finalized is July 2019 and the estimated time for the Sediment Model to be finalized is December 2019. - Lidar Completed on March 31, 2018
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- July 7, 2018 - BLD Crew resumed tree and brush removal on the east side of Red Chute Bayou between Hwy 80 and I-20. Work delayed due to equipment break down and wet conditions.
Flat River Erosion Repairs
- Nixon Engineering – working on survey and preliminary design for erosion control work north of Sligo Road.
- October 10, 2018 – board approved a project to regrade 4400 LF of the ditch. - October 18, 2018 - Newt Brown Contractor started work excavating and grading ditch. - December 18, 2018 – channel excavation substantially complete; grading of spoil dirt to be completed when site dries. - February 11, 2019 – Ditch side slopes developed extensive embankment slides after recent Flat River high water event.
Red Chute Bayou Levee Culvert Rehab
- May 9, 2018 –approval given for contract to line remaining unlined CMP Culverts on Red Chute Bayou Levee in the amount of $138,317.52.
Red Chute Levee High Water Event
- December 21, 2018 – leased four IC-50 IHI Crawler Carrier’s from Sunbelt Equipment Marketing, Inc.; the lease rate for each machine is $4,500.00/month and the first month’s lease ends on January 20, 2019. - February 11, 2019 – as of this date four IC-50 IHI Crawlers are still on lease; approximately 8.8 feet of free board at the time of this report.
Bossier Levee District Facility Upgrades
- Wednesday February 6, 2019 at 10:00 am. Bids were opened for the Bossier Levee District’s Facility Upgrade Project; with a low base bid from M&M Builders Inc. in the amount of $1,079,800.00 and an add alternate bid of $20,000.00 for painting an existing building. - Contract signed on February 19, 2019. Pre-construction conference scheduled for March 13, 2019 at 2:00pm.
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates. - Repairing gates on levees. - Repairing levee slopes in areas damaged by hogs. - Trapping hogs. - Cleaning debris buildup on bridges. - Servicing and repairing equipment.
- Requesting to purchase 3 new John Deere 6145M Tractors thru the State Contract in the amount of $99,501.20 each. The new tractors will replace a 2016 John Deere 6135E tractor with 157 hours and two 2009 John Deere 7230 tractors with 4597 hours and 4665 hours respectively. - Request to purchase a new F-450 Crew Cab 4X4 Work Truck for tractor crew. The new truck will replace a 2007 F450 Crew Cab Truck with 97,795 miles.
- Requesting to declare the following as surplus equipment to be sold at auction:
1) 2003 Case MX 110 with 5313 hours; Equipment # 205. 2) 2016 John Deere 6135E with 459 hours; Equipment # 380.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the Secretary for the district be and she is hereby authorized to make the payments set forth above in the amount of $87,964.63
On motion by Stelly, seconded by Webb, the meeting was adjourned at 10:45 a.m.
__________________________ _____________________________ Tim Larkin, President Deanna S. Rabb, Secretary